Career is basically your professional life, right from entry to retirement. Career advice is where someone pitches into your life to suggest you work options for growth and sustainability.
Refer to the below list of very unique pieces of career advice options that nobody ever mentions.
1. You manage all your activities in your workspace, but at times fall short of one skill which departs you from the rest of your team. Lack of this skill may be holding you back in your career, which you are yourself not aware of. In instances like those, seek feedback from others as to identify correctly where you lack. Once identified, honestly work towards it.
2. Understand that when you are called upon for an interview, it is not just your performance in the interview that counts. Right from your very first step into the premises until your last step, everything is observed to identify your personality traits. These traits are exhibited by you subconsciously. So, keep an eye on every detail, as you are under surveillance.
3. You might have applied for an entry-level position. But interviewers also look up to your next level skills. Keep in mind, Excel, and spreadsheet skills play a significant role. Don’t narrow down your preparation for the interview focusing only on the JD (Job Description) that you applied for. Think and present a step ahead.
4. When you are going for an interview, always do the groundwork about the company. Go through their website and try to understand their policies as well.
5. Treat everyone like how you wanted to be treated yourself in your workplace. Be courteous and offer help if needed. Greet everyone, and use golden words like, please, sorry, and thank you.
6. Do not overexcite in the interview. Make your presentation pleasantly. Show good body postures. Negotiate and don’t pull yourself down. You are not born to impress your interviewer. You are there to prove your worth.
7. When at work, generate results efficiently and effectively. Rather than sitting for long hours and doing nothing, do more of smart work in the least possible time. Exhibit time management skills, as well. Also, ensure to maintain work-life equilibrium.
8. Create your own brand. Have your own philosophies and ethics in life. Tune yourselves in a way that you become more indispensable for your employer.
9. Understand that when you step into a bank for a banking service, you consider the officer who takes care of you to be the bank for you. Similarly, at your workplace, your manager is himself the company or the organization for you. When you exit the company, you may actually be leaving because of your boss. Therefore it is always necessary to maintain healthy and harmonious relationships with your boss.
10. You may be having a lot of mind management, time management, and stress management skills while at work. But despite your good length of time in the workspace, you still look around for money and resources day in and day out. So, what is equally important is to inculcate the habit of savings and investments. Set yourself financially stable. Even if you have to quit the job, ensure that the transition to a new job happens smoothly.
11. Don’t get into a monotonous work profile for a longer period. Don’t confine yourselves to a specific role. Come out of your comfort zone and work outside your abilities. Else do the same work in a different fashion. But don’t stagnate at a place or in a job. Aspire for promotions or job change. Work towards growth in life.
12. Never love the company you are associated with. Love the job you do. Keep changing between companies as and when an opportunity knocks. Also, ensure that you do not take too long gaps between your transitions from one company to another. You will grow in your career and also grow financially.
13. During appraisals, if you don’t get a hike or promotion as expected, understand that most companies follow the bell-curve model where close to 65% of the employees fall in the middle of the curve. If you cannot grow vertically, grow horizontally. Align yourself to other departments and improve your skills.
Finally, understand that you may have a choice and be decisive in choosing a career. But at the end of it, you are working for money. You do not just aspire for growth and status, but equally aspire for attaining financial stability. Improve your skills frequently and keep growing, but account for everything in terms of monetary aspects as well. You are not working for charity. Be clear about that.