For both high school or college students, essay writing is an integral part of any curriculum. Writing a well thought out essay in your examination writing paper in a short span of time can sometimes seem to be a little challenging. Some people are gifted with amazing essay writing skills. However, in most cases, the students require constant practice to master even the most common and easy essay topics.
Types Of Essays:
Since essays have become an integral part of the various school and college assignments along with applications to prestigious universities, students cannot afford to stay ignorant about the types. Before diving straightaway into looking for all sorts of essay help online, here are four major types of essays every student should know about. It is easy to get confused with the immense number of topics in essay books. However, the types of essays are limited, and they are more manageable than you can actually think of! These four types mainly cover all the other subtypes, so, let us take a look.
1. Narrative Essays
A narrative essay is basically telling a story. They are mostly written in the first person; thus, they initiate a better engagement by the reader. The trick is to make the story as vivid as possible. It has to be reordered carefully in order to avoid any factual errors.
2. Descriptive Essays
Descriptive essays paint a picture. The essay’s quality depends on how beautifully the writer is able to provide the descriptions of a place, person, object, or even a faint memory. The description should have a deep meaning. Descriptive essays should appeal to the emotions of the reader.
3. Expository Essays
These types of essays do not have much room for creativity as they are mostly based on facts and figures. The writer can use statistics as and when required. Having in-depth knowledge of the topic is mandatory. Essays that are of comparison and contrasting form or describe a process to do something are included in this category.
4. Persuasive Essays
The writer's aim while writing a persuasive essay should be to convince the reader to accept his viewpoint without much questioning. The tone can be argumentative, but the writer should make it clear with the reasoning that a certain point is right.
Format Of An Essay:
An ideal essay consists of 5 paragraphs.
1.) How to write an essay Introduction
An introduction is the starting point of the essay. You know how they say, "The first impression is the last impression!" If you write a powerful and catchy introduction, then you are halfway through the essay. A good intro also increases the chances of you getting a decent score. The aim here should be to get the reader hooked on your writing. If possible, mention an interesting fact related to your topic into the intro and then slowly make the transition to the main body of the essay.
2.) 1st Paragraph of the body
Write the strongest points or essential facts in this paragraph. Focus on fewer things about the topics and cover them in detail instead of mentioning everything in the 1st paragraph itself. Then slowly transition to the second paragraph. Remember, the transition should not seem abrupt. Gradually ease into something different for the second paragraph.
3.) 2nd paragraph of the body
This is basically the middle point of your essay. Since the primary focus is on the 1st body, this paragraph need not be as catchy as the previous stages. So, here you can mention some weak points in order to elaborate on the essay further.
4.) 3rd paragraph of the body
Now, you are heading to the end of the essay, so, it is time to bring that catchy tone back! Cite some interesting examples related to the topic and slowly ease into the conclusion.
This is a summary of the entire essay. Here, you are required to wrap up all the information with a powerful message. It is also the signal that your essay is about to end. Restate one of your ideas but avoid any unnecessary repetitions.
Steps To Write an Essay:
If you are a student who is aiming for the best essay writing, then there are few critical things that need to be followed. Along with the format and basics of essay writing you also need to keep in mind that there is a time constraint and you have to work accordingly. It might seem daunting at first but once you master your skills and organize your ways, writing an excellent essay will not seem like a burden. Some of the below-mentioned essay tips will come real handy if you pay close attention.
There are mainly three critical phases that a student has to undergo while writing an essay.
Planning Your Essay:
Planning an essay is the most crucial step of the entire essay writing process. Most of the students skip this step under the stress of completing the essay on time which can adversely affect their grades as the quality of the essay will not reach up to the mark without proper planning. Take at least 5-10 minutes to organize your thoughts and prepare a structure in your mind. At first, this might seem like you are wasting precious time. However, in the end, it is entirely worth the effort.
1. Study The Essay Topic
Before writing down anything that comes to your mind, do some thinking about the topic. Understand the question properly. In most cases, there is a question that has to be answered in the form of an essay. It is okay to write an answer that is really obvious. However, make sure you do it in an innovative manner and apply some creativity to it. By this time you have studied various subjects such as history, science, social sciences, etc. Apply that knowledge and summarize it in an organized fashion.
2. Conveying What The Essay Is About
Whenever you write an essay, always keep in mind that the paper checker wants to know what the essay is about before he proceeds to read the entire thing. So, make sure you make this clear as early as possible.
Writing The Essay:
This step might seem like the most time consuming of all at first, but if you have everything figured out beforehand, then you need not worry about writing. Your thoughts are clear, and you just have to elaborate on the points in a manner that impresses the paper checker. While writing, keep referring to the previous paragraph in order to ensure that your transitions are not sudden. Avoid repetitions in any case. Before writing the conclusion, read the essay in a cursory manner in order to match the conclusion to the tone of the rest of the essay.
Editing The essay:
Just like planning, editing also plays a crucial role in the writing of a successful essay. When you have completed writing the essay, it is important to check for any possible errors. Proofread your essay in order to check for any spelling or grammatical mistakes. Make the necessary corrections. One effective trick to check spelling errors is to read your essay backward. This way your focus is only on the words and you are not deviated by the meanings of the sentences.
Creating The Title Of The Essay:
One of the most basic mistakes that most students commit is that they do not wait until the essay is complete before deciding the title. It is not a good idea to give your essay a title before you actually start writing it. Once you complete the entire essay and proofread it, you get a gist of what you have actually covered throughout the essay. This makes it more straightforward for a student to create an innovative and powerful title. This is the best way to avoid cliched titles.
How To End An Essay
Most of the students who say- "Help me with my essay writing!" are those who do not understand how to conclude an essay without sounding abrupt. Even though the conclusion is supposed to be short and sweet, it is an underrated part of an essay, and most of the students seem to be ignorant of how they should end an essay.
1. You need to persuade the reader with your arguments and ideas put forward by you in the essay and make your readers care about your ideas.
2. Look at the introduction again. Now a student might think that it is pointless to consider the things written in the introduction to writing a perfect conclusion. However, the majority of the students fail to understand is the fact that a proper link between the introduction and the conclusion of an essay can prove to be extremely fruitful. If you have stated an idea in the intro, you can add a line or two elaborating that point in the conclusion. Expand the theme that you introduced in the intro without making it seem like you are merely repeating a certain fact to fill up pages.
3. You can also think about linking your ideas or arguments to a context that is completely different. This shows the depth of your thoughts and makes a good impression.
4. Briefly summarize the important points. Even though one should be very careful with this step as the reader might not want to read the same thing again and again. So, write the gist in an imaginative manner.
5. Avoid cliches such as "To conclude," "To summarize," or "in conclusion." Almost everybody uses these phrases. One can try to stand apart from the crowd by signaling the end of the essay in a unique manner.
6. Keep the conclusion short and sweet. No reader wants to read any unnecessary rambling from the writer's side. A good thumb rule is keeping the conclusion to a maximum of 5-7 sentences long. This way you do not miss any important points as well as avoid any monotonous tone.
7. Exercise authority on your matter. Instead of using phrases such as "In my opinion" or "I think" write the statement in a straightforward manner. Such phrases indicate a sense of doubt and lack of confidence. Do not weaken your reliability by bringing in an apologetic or an unsure tone. Take ownership of your ideas and be proud of them!
8. If the essay is motivating, don't be afraid to call to action or appeal to human emotions. You can also try to end the essay with a hint of irony to make it more provocative.
9. Avoid fluffy language such as the use of words such as "firstly," "secondly," etc. This is what you should have done in the body of the essay. If you include fluffy words in the conclusion, you might come on a little desperate to stretch the essay in order to fill up space. The reader might think of you as a person who lacks innovation.
10. If an idea suddenly pops into your mind and you have completed the essay, resist the urge to include it in conclusion. It is not a good idea to bring forth a new piece of information on to the reader when there is not much room for elaboration. This will jumble things up and leave the reader in a state of incompleteness. If you can, include that point in the body but make sure it does not seem stuffed.
11. Don't focus on a single issue or a subpart of your topic. The conclusion is all about looking at the big picture and summarizing the essay as a whole.
12. If you are in a real hurry to complete the essay a simple trick that you can follow while writing the conclusion is to reverse the introduction in the most creative possible manner. However, keep in mind that this is the last resort when you are running out of time, and it is not possible for you to think deeply.
Students can ask for guidance for their essays from the tutor. A language tutor or essay specific subject tutor will guide the student on how to start and end the essay. Proper guidance and regular paper writing practice can help students to write an essay much easier. An online tutor or an expert writer also provides additional essay help online. The best way to write your essay is to first write it as per your understanding and then join an online tutor or expert writer discussion group. They would check your essay writing skills and help you with essay writing if required.
A student will gain lots of benefits to understanding steps to write an essay and how to achieve the best essay writing. An online tutor or expert writer will also provide you essay tips.