The group discussion can go wrong, if too many questions are being asked or if the self-question and answer carry the discussion. Also, if the answers fail to probe or explore the concept, the discussion will not achieve the required purpose. The unrelated questions or too many yes/no questions can also deviate the discussion away from the goal that will make it lose the purpose of carrying the discussion.
The discussion is most fruitful when carried with the focus. The appropriate conclusion and maintaining the right track throughout the discussion is the best group discussion for the students to learn from. If the instructor finds some lulls during the discussion, the instructor can intervene and introduce the new question, to keep moving the discussion on the right track.
Before, concluding the discussion, the instructor shall have a summarizing session. The instructor can either assign the task to the individual student or ask individually to each student to write down the summary or important ‘take-away’ points.
Group Discussion is the most effective strategy used to increase learning. It is easy to use, straightforward and often observed accomplishing the learning goals. It is the most valued approach for imparting knowledge and generating opinions among the students.
1. Explore different perspectives
2. Discussion leads to subject exploration
3. Active participation
4. The discussion makes the student comfortable with the complexity and ambiguity
5. Helps in the development of critical thinking
6. Social and communication skill development
7. Encourage the development of democratic habit among the students
8. Discussion in the group involves, articulation of an argument and counter argument
Different people learn in different ways. Visual learners; Aural learners; Verbal learners; Physical learners; Logical learners You can choose the method which you feel can help you learn faster. Also, check if you learn better when alone or when you are in a group study.
Your timetable should reflect your learning style. There are five different types of learning styles - they are:
- Visual learner – Learning by looking at a picture
- Aural learner- having an ear to the ground and picking up information by listening.
- Verbal learner- Learning by reading and writing
- Physical learner – learning by the physical presence
- Logical learner – learning by rationalizing
Find your learning style and according to that build your timetable.
You may even be a solitary learner or social learner. If you are a social learner, develop your timetable around group discussions.
Here are 10 ways to improve your exam performance by making learning a fun activity
- 1.) Sometimes studying while music plays in the background is a great idea
- 2.) Drawing diagrams, figures or doodles while making notes would increaseyour interest to go back to them for revision.
- 3.) Role play is one way to enjoy studying literature.
- 4.) Turn your course content into puzzles, flash cards or quizzes
- 5.) Get your friends along to join the fun
- 6.) Use interesting stationery to add zing to your learning
- 7.) Give yourself tiny challenges.
- 8.) Make a chapter into a nice story or a comic. Comics never fail in most cases.
- 9.) A change in location is what the doctor ordered if you feel sleepy on your study table
- 10.) Finally, you can try to combine your study with other activities such as sport, socializing, pursuing your hobby or just taking rest.
Different people learn in different ways...
- Some are visual learners and grasp concepts fast using pictures and images
- Some are aural learners with an ear to listen better than others
- Verbal learners will read out loud to remember.
- Some are physical learners they use their hands, fingers, etc. to remember what they study.
- Logical learners remember concepts through logical reasoning. They create flowcharts or analyze and use it as a method of learning.
You can choose the method which you feel can help you learn faster. Also, check if you learn better when alone or when you are in a group study.