Career is basically your professional life, right from entry to retirement. Career advice is where someone pitches into your life to suggest you work options for growth and sustainability.
Refer to the below list of very unique pieces of career advice options that nobody ever mentions.
1. You manage all your activities in your workspace, but at times fall short of one skill which departs you from the rest of your team. Lack of this skill may be holding you back in your career, which you are yourself not aware of. In instances like those, seek feedback from others as to identify correctly where you lack. Once identified, honestly work towards it.
2. Understand that when you are called upon for an interview, it is not just your performance in the interview that counts. Right from your very first step into the premises until your last step, everything is observed to identify your personality traits. These traits are exhibited by you subconsciously. So, keep an eye on every detail, as you are under surveillance.
3. You might have applied for an entry-level position. But interviewers also look up to your next level skills. Keep in mind, Excel, and spreadsheet skills play a significant role. Don’t narrow down your preparation for the interview focusing only on the JD (Job Description) that you applied for. Think and present a step ahead.
4. When you are going for an interview, always do the groundwork about the company. Go through their website and try to understand their policies as well.
5. Treat everyone like how you wanted to be treated yourself in your workplace. Be courteous and offer help if needed. Greet everyone, and use golden words like, please, sorry, and thank you.
6. Do not overexcite in the interview. Make your presentation pleasantly. Show good body postures. Negotiate and don’t pull yourself down. You are not born to impress your interviewer. You are there to prove your worth.
7. When at work, generate results efficiently and effectively. Rather than sitting for long hours and doing nothing, do more of smart work in the least possible time. Exhibit time management skills, as well. Also, ensure to maintain work-life equilibrium.
8. Create your own brand. Have your own philosophies and ethics in life. Tune yourselves in a way that you become more indispensable for your employer.
9. Understand that when you step into a bank for a banking service, you consider the officer who takes care of you to be the bank for you. Similarly, at your workplace, your manager is himself the company or the organization for you. When you exit the company, you may actually be leaving because of your boss. Therefore it is always necessary to maintain healthy and harmonious relationships with your boss.
10. You may be having a lot of mind management, time management, and stress management skills while at work. But despite your good length of time in the workspace, you still look around for money and resources day in and day out. So, what is equally important is to inculcate the habit of savings and investments. Set yourself financially stable. Even if you have to quit the job, ensure that the transition to a new job happens smoothly.
11. Don’t get into a monotonous work profile for a longer period. Don’t confine yourselves to a specific role. Come out of your comfort zone and work outside your abilities. Else do the same work in a different fashion. But don’t stagnate at a place or in a job. Aspire for promotions or job change. Work towards growth in life.
12. Never love the company you are associated with. Love the job you do. Keep changing between companies as and when an opportunity knocks. Also, ensure that you do not take too long gaps between your transitions from one company to another. You will grow in your career and also grow financially.
13. During appraisals, if you don’t get a hike or promotion as expected, understand that most companies follow the bell-curve model where close to 65% of the employees fall in the middle of the curve. If you cannot grow vertically, grow horizontally. Align yourself to other departments and improve your skills.
Finally, understand that you may have a choice and be decisive in choosing a career. But at the end of it, you are working for money. You do not just aspire for growth and status, but equally aspire for attaining financial stability. Improve your skills frequently and keep growing, but account for everything in terms of monetary aspects as well. You are not working for charity. Be clear about that.
Enhance your skills
Your career is one of the most important aspects of your life. It is your career that determines your way of life and standard of living. Additionally, there are a majority of students that are quite confused when it comes to career options. They aren't sure what to choose.
On the other side, there is a lot of material and help available online to choose the best career choices. You can take career tests, seek advice from your friends, family, or mentors to help you choose the perfect career for you.
6 Unique Pieces Of Career Advice That Nobody Mentions
However, your career choice should be made according to your preferences. A lot of advice that is available will always be diplomatic. Besides, no one talks about the real picture. This article is dedicated to the unique pieces of career advice that you really need to listen to. Read on till the end to change your life forever.
1. Be Clever To Choose A Company
When you work with a particular company, you are associated with the brand. Hence, it is important to choose a company that you would love to associate with. Also, do not accept simply any offer that comes your way. Do not accept any job which would leave you embarrassed. It is true that having a job is important, but do not accept any company job.
Additionally, it is best to wait for the right job. Moreover, it may take time, but it is important for you to be patient. Waiting for the right job can seem like tough work. However, it is always best to wait for a job that is totally worth it. You can use the extra time to improve your skills and knowledge.
2. Money Is Very Important
Some people may say that money is not important, and it is the experience and knowledge that counts. However, this can be true to some extent. In reality, money also plays an important role. It is the money that determines your standard of living. It is money that helps you build your life. A company that knows your value will never overwork you.
Additionally, they will never keep you underpaid at any given time. The best companies will always give their employees the utmost importance. Furthermore, they believe in rewarding their employees at regular intervals. Hence, make sure you know your worth and do not settle for anything less. No company needs your charity services. Ensure you get paid for what you do.
3. Do Not Take Long Gaps
There can be situations where you need to leave a job. The reason may be the workplace has a negative environment, or the job was quite stressful. Additionally, it could be that your work is not being appreciated. There could be multiple negative reasons why you would want to quit. These points are valid enough. Ensure you do not work against your will. Whatever be your decision is entirely up to you.
However, make sure you don't have long gaps between your jobs. It won't look good on your resume. Additionally, it would affect your career graph. It is important to show your steady growth in your career. This is one of the unique pieces of career advice.
4. Work For The Right Kind Of Boss
Having a great boss to work for is very important. If your boss is humble and polite, it is considered to be a great blessing. It will be an absolute delight to work for him/her. Additionally, you can also learn a lot of new things for them. Besides, you will have a whole new experience working for them. They will bring out the best version of yourselves.
The best bosses are the ones who are experienced enough and show you how business is done. They are calm and understanding. Furthermore, they are happy to guide you and correct your mistakes if you do any. The right bosses will give you the right advice and help you to be the best in your field.
5. Keep An Eye On Your Competition
It is common to hear that never look at your competitors and mind your business. However, to be practical, you need to keep a close eye on who your competitors are. Keeping a close watch will help who you what they are up to.
Additionally, it will help you better yourself. You will notice their growth and the kind of work they do. This will also encourage you to better yourself. Besides, make sure you have a positive competition and not a negative one. Learn what they do, how they do, and how it impacts them. This will bring out the best in you at every stage in the organization.
6. Have A Close Connection With Smart People
In your organization, it is important to befriend people who are wiser than you. Achieve real friendships with smarter people who will help you in your career. Though this might sound a bit selfish, in reality, it is not. Having a good contact and network with people will help in your career. You will get to know their mindset, problem-solving abilities, and work attitude. These lessons can be very useful.
Additionally, never avoid people who are better than you. Always remember that you can learn a lot from them, which will, in turn, help you. You too can just be like them if you choose to work hard on your skills.
These are some of the real and unique career advice that no one ever talks about. This is the advice that will help you in the long run. Additionally, this will benefit your career and help it grow. It is always better to listen to advice rather than learning it the hard way.
While each one has a different and personal experience, we can always learn. Besides, having an open mind will help in many matters of work. Be willing to learn and explore. These unique pieces of wisdom will sure change the way you look at it. Your career is of utmost importance, hence be sure to shape it the way you want.