Without a doubt, Intrinsic Motivation is the better one. The ones who are genuinely motivated have succeeded compared with others.
1. On the other hand, extrinsic motivation is not always bad. Reward programs, financial perks could help people do the work with even more enthusiasm.
2. One type of extrinsic motivation that we saw earlier is ‘Integrated Motivation.’ It could be an alternative when an intrinsic motivation fails or not possible.
3. To obtain the best results, sometimes external motivations could work.
4. For a long successful run, you need a self-encouraging intrinsic motivation.
5. When intrinsic motivation didn’t work out, you can still make people going by giving them the right reasons. The point is, with a little help, extrinsic motivation can also get work done for you here.
At last, you are the better judge of yourself. You know what works for you and whatnot.
I am sure that the types of motivation we discussed here will benefit you. It will help you identify the motivation scale that’s around us.
On that note,
Any type of Motivation should end up benefitting you and your values. That’s the core of how motivation works. If it’s not beneficial, not positive, and ethical, it’s better to step away from those motivating factors. Don’t matter if they are intrinsic or extrinsic. Sometimes, combining intrinsic and extrinsic could yield better results for you. In the end, you are the perfect judge.
1. Achievement Motivation:
In simple terms, let’s say that you will be driven towards achieving a goal, a specific task, to get a sense of achievement/completion of tasks and sorts. No money or rewards as a motivation here for you. Purely driven by accomplishing, reaching, and completing the work, you will have the ‘Achievement Motivation.’ If you have ‘achievement motivation’ you will concentrate more on doing things better instead of results or any kind of reward.
2. Psychological Motivation:
It’s an unexplainable feeling that comes internally. It motivates us to do things. Later, we would wonder about how we did it or why we did it. Have you have experienced this feeling? If the answer is Yes, then it’s a way of intrinsic psychological motivation. There’s no scientific explanation for it.
1. Creative Motivation:
It’s a desire to express yourself. Creativity is a very compelling internal feeling. Creative people don’t mind about wanting other people to see or the world to see. They are motivated to let things out, which are in their mind and heart. For instance, creative motivation can be like starting their own business, applying technologies in different fields, start writing a novel, creative themed blog, story writing, learning new musical instruments, etc.
2. Competence Motivation:
As I mentioned earlier, the sense of competence, if taken positively, can bring a wonderful self-motivation. People who are under ‘competence motivation’ will continuously look for getting better. They keep challenging themselves; they learn from their mistakes; they retrospect and compete.
Towards achieving their goal, competence motivation is what people exhibit in them. Another way of competence motivation is with others i.e., with their peers. On a positive note, competence with peers can help them better.
3. Learning/Exploring Motivation:
Learning keeps us going. The need to learn, need to explore is a wonderful intrinsic motivation in people. The ‘Exploring motivation’ will make people look for new things and see new perspectives.
4. Attitude Motivation:
It’s more inclined towards social status and behavior. People under ‘Attitude Motivation’ work on making people around them feel good. In simple terms, the term attitude motivation is “good intention.” Making people feel good brings joy, and a wonderful feel to you. That’s why you are motivated to do more.
The ‘will’ to be independent, freedom in their mind space, and to express them triggers a good motivation. Sense of freedom and autonomy in what they do and what they want motivates people intrinsically.
2. Unexplained Desire
We do things that we cannot explain why we did. Unexplained desire to do it sometimes will motivate us. It could go positively or end up hurting somebody. Either way, the many feeling comes at times.
3. The sense of ‘I CAN.’
It’s another chief factor that triggers intrinsic motivation greatly.
4. Healthy Competence with Peers
It’s a common factor prevailing among almost everyone. Having a healthy competition or considering a healthy skill competence within peers, people are motivated.
"The road to success and the road to failure are almost exactly the same." -- Colin R. Davis
We have heard the famous quote that says ‘curiosity is the mother of all invention.’ The same goes here too.
To learn new things.
To build skills.
To see what it is.
To know how it works.
To explore new probabilities.
To look for Possibilities.
To reach new heights.
To change existing things.
To try different things.
The above are few of the ‘curious factors’ that occurs naturally in individuals. Eventually, it brings an intrinsic motivation in them.
The underlying ‘Passion’ is what motivated every successful people today during their early times of struggle. Passion is something that occurs naturally. It helps to move us towards achieving goals. Passion is the most important factor that brings intrinsic motivation in people.
For the sake of honor, pride, and will to positively impact people has motivated people to do things. No external factors come other than the sense of pride and honor.
People who keep challenging themselves and improving themselves are intrinsically motivated.
Success is a great motivator for everyone. That, too, visualizing the success will help people run forward with enthusiasm.
6. Sense of Achievement
The desire to achieve something, even if it’s little, is a wonderful intrinsic motivation. A sense of achievement prior and after will trigger a lasting motivation in people.
To achieve ‘stability is life’ is a great self-motivator to you and me without a doubt. It’s essential for us too. Balancing life and working towards your passion needs a stable ground. As a result, we become intrinsically motivated to work on getting that stability.
Here are ten advantages and facts about Intrinsic Motivation and how it is impactful in everyone’s life every day.
1. Intrinsic Motivation is the true natural form of motivation for people. Things that you do it for yourself have more success rate than things you do it for others or due to pressure.
2. Intrinsic Motivation lasts longer. It’s not temporary. Those who are intrinsically motivated will always stay awake in pursuit of what they wanted to do.
3. It often leads to a high level of success. It is because work you enjoy doing will motivate and inspire you to reach heights.
4. Regardless of the Positive and Negative side, intrinsic motivation stays longer in individuals. The desire keeps motivating them.
5. Intrinsic Motivation is within your Control. It’s a notable factor here.
6. If a person is intrinsically motivated, they tend to ‘Not Give Up’ soon. They keep trying.
7. Intrinsic motivation caters creativity.
8. People are more persistent when they are internally motivated.
9. Personal commitment is high with intrinsic motivation.
10. Over justification, Effect is another psychological term. It’s related to intrinsic motivation. It means that when a person is intrinsically motivated to do the work, they don’t expect any rewards or accolades. But, if you apply some extrinsic rewards, it tends to decrease their intrinsic motivation.
I hope you could have got some ideas by now about the intrinsic type of motivation.
11 Major Factors that trigger Intrinsic Motivation in Individuals:
6. Sense of Achievement
9. Unexplained Desire
10. The sense of ‘I CAN.’
11. Healthy Competence with Peers
Intrinsic motivation is about doing things for the sake of internal rewards, self-appreciations, and natural interest. There is no need for external things to make people do what they do. Self-improvement and joy of doing things is another form of intrinsic motivation. People get motivated because they like it.
Similarly, People get motivated to impact people and situations around them positively. Either way, they do because they are inherently motivated.
Every emotion we experience is either triggered internally or eternally. So, here are some of the major factors, reasons, and characters that encourage a sense of self-motivation in people.
By nature, we tend to speak our own language. Whatever makes us feel loved is what we do for the other person. But if it is not his/her language, it will not mean to them what it means to us. - Gary Chapman, Things I wish I knew before I got married
If you enjoy what you do, you don’t need any motivation. People do it for the joy of doing it.
When it comes to intrinsic motivation, people inspire by two things:
1.) How good it feels to do it.
2.) How happy it makes them after doing it.
This is how intrinsic motivation works.
Here are some of the practical day to day examples based on Intrinsic Motivation.
1. Exercising to stay fit.
2. Choosing subjects that interest you.
3. Learning new things to gain knowledge.
4. Choosing a career that you like.
5. Playing sports that you like.
6. Taking classes on favorite subjects or hobbies or other related sorts.
7. Studying because you like it. Grades could be secondary here.
8. Buy Novels because of your Reading habits.
9. You start a blog because you like to write.
10. Starting your own business to express things that you like doing. Business is not about starting to compete. It is about starting for the joy of self-content it gives. Most importantly, it’s about trust in oneself.
11. Self-trust is the biggest form of intrinsic motivation.
12. You clean your room because you like to keep things tidy.
Motivation, in itself, is a strong word when it comes to inspiring and making people do things. Concerning, ‘how you do things’ and ‘what makes you do the thing,’ motivations are categorized for you. To learn about the types of motivation will make things easier for you.
2 Main Type of Motivation:
Every kind of motivation you see, you experience or hear falls majorly under two categories.
- Intrinsic Motivation
- Extrinsic Motivation
In simple terms,
- You ‘Do’ it because you like it. You ‘Do’ it for the Joy of Doing. It is what we call an Intrinsic Motivation.
- You do it because you have to or someone or something is making you do it. This is what we call an Extrinsic Motivation.
Irrespective of other reasons, the main ideas that motivate people are the above two.